Crème Brûlée ... Why I Can't Resist You ...


I will take them all...honey crème brûlée, chocolate crème brûlée, vanilla bean crème brûlée, citrus crème brûlée even yesterday's crème brûlée !

It can be argued that crème brûlée didn't originate from France...but...who has the time to argue when this extravagant and sumptuous dessert is sitting right in front of them ? I think it's French anyway.

My mother taught me how to make crème brûlée, and in my opinion, hers is the best. Whilst posting delicious pictures on Instagram (frenchfoodwine), I saw so many images of crème brûlée, which made me think about my beautiful mother, and that inspired me to write this blog to share with you all today. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.


There are so many different flavours you can infuse into your crème brûlée, so many different ways to enjoy this timeless classic such as an impromptu get together with friends at your place, or chez nous or alone simply with a strong cup of freshly brewed coffee.


The signature look and feel to a crème brûlée is that the top of  the dessert should be golden in colour from having been torched by flame or seared by a sizzling cast iron press. The crème brûlée gods would never forgive you (and neither will I) if the top hasn't been turned into a toffee like crispness to be cracked open by the lucky possessor of this fine dessert.

If you're ever looking for a quick and easy dessert to make that is dressed to impress,  I suggest you have a go at making a crème brûlée. I use these measurements to make my chocolate crème brûlée: 4 egg yolks, 50g castor sugar (because it's really fine), 150ml cream, 100ml milk and 100g dark chocolate (or if you're anything like me...it's 200g dark chocolate - that's equal portions for me before the crème brûlée and 100g for the actual crème brûlée).

If you don't like chocolate crème brûlée (shame on you)...just leave out the 100g dark chocolate and replace it with 10ml vanilla and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
..
The crème brûlée is also a great way to incorporate fruit into your day. I mean, fresh raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. YUM. This is a must, especially if you love the chocolate and red berry combination like me.


Ma crème brûlée favorite flavour is ... [insert your guess here] ... for those that said chocolate, you would be right...and for those of you who just felt like a chocolate crème brûlée after this thought, come on over...but be prepared to wrestle for a spoon full of my chocolate crème brûlée. This one here is mine...so keep your hands where I can see them !




It's not a crème brûlée if there is no sweet crunchy sugar crust on the top waiting to be broken, smashed and savoured...so, grab your self a kitchen torch or a cast iron press and drop me a line if you need a taste tester ;-) the pleasure is all mine.


One last thing, if you ever have the opportunity to try a selection of crème brûlée in a French restaurant, DO IT. You only live once, and in my humble opinion, you haven't lived if you haven't had a sample of the various types of crème brûlée out there in this beautiful world.

Bon appétit ... à bientôt

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire